Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Book Covers: A Dying Art

September 28, 2011
255 days until graduation


Pictured is the Barnes and Noble double bound edition of Neil Gaiman's American Gods and Anansi Boys. Despite the fact that I already own two copies of this book, I bought this one because I'm an honest to God bibliophile. I love books; actual, physical books. 

This may come off as shallow but I genuinely judge books by their cover and appreciate good covers as works of art. One of my major gripes with the growing popularity of e-books is that books no longer need beautiful covers to attract customers. Book covers like these, depicting mythological struggles in the modern world, may be on their way out. 

The classic image of a library full of thick, leather bound books is slowly being replaced with a single e-reader and starchy, silver leafed pages are being blown away and forgotten. 

American Gods is a thrilling and compelling story that I'm sure will be sold for years to come but most likely they'll be sold in pdf form or as an e-reader file. With newspapers in their death throes and magazines following suit, how long before books disappear altogether? 




No comments:

Post a Comment